Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blog 4

The topic I chose for my final paper will be on how I feel that handwriting and cursive will be obsolete with the introduction of new technologies. My thesis statement would be that "Cursive will shortly become obsolete and there will be no need to teach script to students in the near future".
The two articles I chose to include in this paper are: The Curse of Cursive; Penmanship, like hieroglyphics and the IBM Selectric, has lost its purpose. Let's erase it for good. The article argues that teaching handwriting in schools is going to be considered irrelevant...the article also comments on a book which makes points to support the importance of teaching cursive in schools. The other article I want to use in my paper is High Tech Note Taking, and it goes into detail about how, with new technology, you can now write on a "tablet PC" and transfer your handwritten notes right onto your computer...which would essentially obliterate the need for pen and paper. I got the idea for this paper the other night when I was scribbling my name on paper in (very sloppy) cursive, realizing the the reason it was so sloppy was because I never use script anymore. Then I wondered if they even still taught handwriting in elementary school (which I then found out they do) and figured that it might be a dead subject to teach in a couple years, seeing how quickly technology is converging.

No comments:

Post a Comment